In Content Tools, you can select road segments you want your vehicles to Avoid or Favor.
- Avoid: An avoided road segment is effectively treated as if it were closed unless no other road can be used for the route or if the total trip distance would be unacceptably inefficient.
- Favor: A favored road segment will be used in a route unless it is not practical to do so.
Together, avoids and favors can be used to shape the routes generated both in PC*MILER or PC*MILER Web, and when imported into CoPilot FleetPortal, the routes generated in-cab by CoPilot Truck.
Avoids and favors can be viewed, created and updated by clicking on the Manage Route Modifiers tab in the top menu ribbon.
Creating an Avoid/Favor
Each Avoid or Favor is stored within a Route Modifier Set. To create new avoids and favors:
1. Select a Route Modifier Set or create a New Set. (Note: A Closures set is available by default in Content Tools. You cannot add avoids and favors to that set.)
2. Once you have selected a Route Modifier Set, click on Add New Modifier or click on a road in the map window to start adding avoids or favors. You can also Search for a new location to add avoids or favors. Follow the Multi-Select on-screen instructions to select multiple road segments at a time. (For example, if you need to avoid whole sections of a town.)
3. The road segment or segments you have selected will be highlighted in blue.
4. In the Route Modifiers panel, you can choose whether to make the highlighted road segment an Avoid or a Favor.
5. You can also Name the Avoid or Favor and add details in the Comments section.
5. Click on Save to save the new Avoid or Favor. An Avoid road segment will turn red in the map window; a Favor will turn green.
Using Route Modifiers
After you have saved your new Route Modifiers, a few extra steps may be necessary to use them in routing.
- If you are using PC*MILER Web or the Trimble MAPS development platform, these new Route Modifiers will be available immediately for use in routing.
- PC*MILER desktop users: Under the Tools tab, click the Sync Content button before using your new Route Modifiers.
- CoPilot users: Route Modifiers must be assigned to specific vehicle groups for use in routing. CoPilot devices in that group are updated with the new Route Modifiers the next time CoPilot is launched on the device or based on whatever sync interval you set with in the device's Configuration Profile in FleetPortal.